I wrote the below words for my ELA staff as an email this week. I would have rather taken time to sit and chat and share aloud with my colleagues. But time is limited during these last two weeks of school and way too busy, filled with end-on-year tasks. SO I sent them an email of FIVE SUMMER SUGGESTIONS. Thinking you also might like these suggestions, I share here, too. You are more than welcome to join in, especially for #1! And if you find yourself in the DC-area, please do #5
Dear Dorothy Hamm MS ELA Staff,
Summer is a time to rest. I also find it to be a good time to “work” on my own reading, writing and learning but always at my own slower, summertime pace.
Here are Five Summertime Suggestions:
- Consider joining my Summer Virtual Book Club, spotlighting 3 new books by Kwame Alexander. All the directions are on the padlet link. Also APS will award you 8 recertification points for completing the Book Club tasks. A fun way to read, think, connect and earn PD points!
- Consider attending The Institute for Racial Equity in Literacy – it does cost money but it is being held here in DC at the MLK Library so no travel costs are required. I’ve learned from Dr. Sonya Cherry-Paul before and I am registered to attend. The Reading Toward Freedom Session is July 16, 17,18* (Sun, Mon, Tue) – 8:30AM to 4PM and the Writing Toward Freedom Session is July 20, 21, 22 (Thurs, Fri, Sat) – 8:30AM to 4PM.
- Consider writing this summer. The TwoWritingTeachers blog invites you to post on TUESDAYS all summer long. I hope to write and post most Tuesdays. I’d love to read and leave you a comment!
- Consider being inspired by listening to podcasts. Here are ones I’ll be listening to this summer. Please send me ones that inspire you!
- Pass the Baton – co-host Theresa Hoover used to be the Dorothy Hamm Band director! Even though ideas shared relate to teaching music, I find they also transfer well to teaching ELA.
- The Black Creator Series – hosted by Dr. Sonya Cherry-Paul where she interviews black authors writing for children. I love learning the backstory of authors and learning about new books to read and share with students.
- To the Classroom – hosted by Jennifer Serravallo where she has conversations with researchers and educators. I especially found episode 15 with Dr. Gholdy Muhammad inspiring.
- TwoWritingTeachers – Stacey and Melanie started a podcast this year, in addition to the amzing blog. I plan to take a listen this summer as I value all these two educators do.
- House Calls – hosted by Dr. Vivek Murthy, US Surgeon General with the mantra “because conversations can be healing”. I learn so much by listening to his interviews which all supports my own mental health.
- Feel Better, Love More – hosted by Dr. Chatterjee. This is the #1 health podcast in the UK and Europe. I also listen to him to support my personal health.
- Consider meeting up with me this summer. I plan to be around. If you want to meet up to just chat or to think about and plan some for next year, send me an email or text. I’m up for meeting over coffee or a meal or meeting up at the library or a bookstore.
Happy (almost) Summer,