I started writing a story about the squirrel I watched in my backyard today. But then I decided I’d wait and use that story as my March 1st Slice. So today, I’m writing about getting ready for my 5th year of participation in the TwoWritingTeachers March SOL Writing Challenge.
I scrolled through this PADLET that I made last year. I was reminded that a while ago, I had added links to writing prompts. I usually don’t like writing to a prompt. But if I get stuck, I made this list after looking through the padlet links:
- Write about your favorite childhood toy.
- Write out the best or the worst day of your life.
- Five years from now, I will be…
- Which character from a book would you most like to meet and why?
- Who is the person from literature that you would most like to meet and talk to? Why? What would you like to ask?
- Compile a list of inanimate or animate objects to which you might compare yourself metaphorically. (I am a windmill. I change direction or my thoughts whenever someone talks to me…)
- What is your favorite kind of weather? Why?
- Be a building you know well. Talk about your life and memories.
- What is your hobby? Why do you enjoy it?
- Write about an experience in a hospital.
- Write about mowing the lawn, burning leaves, or weeding the garden.
- If you could only speak twenty words for the rest of your life, what words would head your list and why?
- Write a short biography of your mother.
- Write a short biography of your father.
- Write about two things that your family has taught you.
- If you had to work in any store at your favorite mall, which store would it be and why?
- Write about your favorite sport.
- Attach a photo and write about it
- Bucket List for the next 5 years
- Remember a favorite book from childhood
- Create a menu from a fictitious restaurant. Make sure the restaurant has a theme, such as Classic Books, and the food should all be given appropriate names (e.g., “Mockingbird Pie”).
- Make a soundtrack for your life so far. List songs that describe you or different times of your life. (Make the actual soundtrack on Spotify, etc. too!)
I also reached out to teachers I’ve worked with in the past and encouraged them to join the challenge. And told them to SAVE THE DATE – I’m planning a Slice of Life Orange Writing Celebration on Thursday, April 5th after school. If you are in Arlington, VA on the 5th, YOU are invited, too!! (Email me and I’ll send you my address!)
Why wait until the 5th to celebrate with a party? Because I’m heading to France on March 21st and I don’t return until April 3rd. My daughter, Anne who is also a slicer lives in Marseilles, France and my husband and I are spending my Spring Break with her!! Because of this, I’m only able to post until the 22nd. Then I plan to hand write my stories while traveling. (So I guess I’m not able to participate fully this year but I’m committed to writing every day in March!)
So on Thursday, I’ll post my 1st March SOL, my squirrel story. And daily I’ll either write a slice of my daily life or use a prompt to help if I get stuck or write in my journal using my pen as I explore France. Also, I’m looking forward to reading other Slicers’ posts and leaving my comments. So much inspiration comes when I read and write lots!
What is your writing plan for March?